Guwahati: Five members of the newly-elected Bodoland Territorial Council (BTC) took oath at the swearing-in ceremony in Kokrajhar on Tuesday.
These include United People’s Party Liberal (UPPL) president Pramod Boro, who will serve as the new chief of BTC, and former NDFB leader Gobinda Basumatarywho took the oath as the deputy chief.
With this, BTC will get a new chief after 17 years. Before this, Hagrama Mahilary of Bodoland People’s Front (BPF) had been the Chief Executive Member of the council since its incorporation.
Bharatiya Janata Party’s (BJP) Gautam Das, Diganta Baruah, and Gana Suraksha Party’s (GSP) Ghanashyam Das also take the oath of office.
Assam Chief secretary Jishnu Baruah administers the oath to the five winners in the presence of Chief Minister Sarbananda Sonowal, minister Himanta Biswa Sarma, Assam BJP president Ranjeet Kumar Dass and others.
In the recently held polls for the 40 seat BTC, BPF won 17 seats, UPPL won 12, BJP won 9, GSP won 1, and Congress won 1 seat. However, the Congress candidate has since defected to the BJP. The BJP is forming the council in alliance with UPPL and GSP.
- Border issue: Khasi Hills council chief unhappy over exclusion
- Researchers have figured why COVID cases continue to rise in Mizoram
- RN Ravi formally relieved as interlocutor for Naga peace talks
- Manipur CM Biren Singh shows off football skills in friendly match
- Saree: Netizens wreak havoc on Delhi restaurant for denying woman entry
- Assam Jobs: KGBV Baksa announces teacher vacancies. Details here