Imphal: Manipur University on Monday appointed Professor Amar Yumnam as the Vice-Chancellor in-charge of the varsity with immediate effect.
Professor Yumnam is the senior-most Professor of the Manipur University (MU) and the head of the department of South-East Asian Studies of the university.
Yumnam is the director of Center for Manipur Studies and professor at the department of economics.
An order issued by Registrar W Chandbabu Singh stated that Amar Yumnam of the Economics Department, being the seniormost professor, will perform his duties as Vice-Chancellor in-charge until he attains the age of 65 years or a new vice-chancellor assumes the office.
Also Read: Manipur: This senior citizen made his life’s aim to plant Marigold. Here’s why
Following an order issued by the Manipur High Court abdicating the Manipur University administrator cum vice-chancellor Jarnail Singh on November 30, the office of the vice-chancellor has been vacant.
Meanwhile, various students’ bodies staged a sit-in-protest threatening the government to intensify their stir if the Center fails to appoint the varsity’s VC by December 14.
Also Read: Manipur: Why we celebrate ‘women’s war’ on Nupi Lan Day
- Meghalaya CM says load-shedding will continue, but things will improve soon
- Arunachal: East Kameng police solves ATM robbery case, arrests culprit
- BJP-TIPRA clash on TTAADC budget in Tripura Assembly
- Dimapur-Kohima railway line project work on in full swing: NFR
- Steel slag road technology a boon to BRO: Niti Aayog member
- Mamata urges Prez Murmu to protect Constitutional rights of people