Agartala: The Tripura government will not compromise with extremism. Not even an inch of the sacred land of Tripura will be left for extremists, said chief minister Biplab Kumar Deb on Friday.
In an interview with EastMojo, Deb said that the dark days of extremism will not be allowed to return, whether it is with the recent movement of extremists or the connivance of district council elections.
“Two incidents of abduction were reported in Tripura recently. In the Damcherra incident, the arrest of the accused person is going on, and we will soon be able to trace the abductees. That case has no link with extremist activities. We are also taking steps in the Dhalai abduction case,” Deb said.
On December 7, a site manager and two other workers engaged in border fencing were abducted by a group of suspected National Liberation Front of Tripura (NLFT) militants from a bordering village near Maldakumar Para, some 20 Km from Ganganagar police station.
The three abductees were identified as Subhas Bhowmik from Udaipur in Gomati district, Subal Debnath from Bishalgarh in Sepahijala district and Ganapati Tripura, a local from MK Para area.
Speaking further, Deb said that the Tripura police and Border Security Force (BSF) were conducting a joint search operation. Moreover, constant contact is being maintained with their counterpart Bangladesh Border Guard (BGB).
“The incident of Maldapara is a warning for the future. I will not allow the extremists to succeed in their agenda. We will not allow them to destroy the peaceful atmosphere in Tripura. Everyone is aware that the rise of extremists will cause irreparable damage to the state,” Deb added.
“The people of the state want both peace and development. As a result, everyone understands that extremism is not the answer. There will be no compromise with those who do not want to return,” Deb opined.
“The Tripura government has taken an uncompromising policy to suppress extremism. We are ready to take all measures. If required, the state government will take the help of the centre,” Deb said.
So far, three persons identified as Pathan Mohan Tripura, Jatindra Tripura, and Baisyajoy Tripura, all residents of Maldakumar Para under Ganganagar police station have been arrested in connection with the case.
Earlier on 13 August 2019, the National Liberation Front of Tripura (NLFT) signed a memorandum of settlement with the Centre and the state government and 88 members of the banned insurgent group of Tripura laid down their arms in the presence of CM Biplab Kumar Deb.
The government of Tripura will help the surrendered cadres in housing, recruitment, education etc., government of India will consider the proposals of Tripura state government regarding economic development of tribal areas of Tripura.
NLFT was banned under the Unlawful Activities (Prevention) Act in 1997 and has been involved in violence, operating from their camps across the international border. NLFT has been responsible for violent activities including 317 insurgency incidents in which 28 security forces and 62 civilians lost their lives during the period 2005-2015. Peace talks with NLFT were initiated in 2015 and there has been no violence by NLFT since 2016.
A team of ‘Unlawful Activities (Prevention) Tribunal’, formed by the Union ministry of home affairs visited Tripura from February 2-4 to record evidence against two outlawed insurgent outfits.
The home ministry had imposed a fresh ban of five years on the NLFT and ATTF on October 3, 2018 for their violent and subversive activities.