South superstar Rajinikanth turns 70 today. The versatile actor, affectionately called Thalaiva by his fans, has defied all odds to prove that character, age or language is not a hindrance for him. From acting across Tamil, Hindi and Telegu films, to playing the part of a hero or a villain, the actor has done it all.
The Padma Vibhushan awardee has a career spanning over four decades, Rajinikanth has delivered one after another memorable role. Here is a look at his five best films in no particular order:
Mullum Malarum (1978)
Rajnikanth plays the role of an angry young man in this film directed by J Mahendran. Deemed as his best work ever, this film won him the Best Actor award at Tamil Nadu State Film Awards.
Thillu Mullu (1981)
Remake of Hindi film Golmaal, this Rajinikanth film remains one of the most humorous films in Tamil cinema.
It is also one of the top-rated Rajinikanth films on IMDb.
Rajinikanth portrays two different roles – a conman and a hardened criminal. It was one of the many films he did with late actor Sridevi.
Working with director Shankar, Rajinikanth’s Sivaji was a commercial success worldwide. The film won a National Film Award, three Filmfare Awards and two Vijay Awards.
Also, Rajinikanth received a salary of ₹26 crore for his role in the film, which made him the second highest paid actor in Asia after Jackie Chan.
Working once again with Shankar, Rajinikanth was seen in a dual role in this film – a scientist and a robot, alongside Bollywood actor Aishwarya Rai. His robot character was more loved by the fans than his role as the scientist.
- Mizoram: Former diplomat and writer L Keivom passes away at 82
- TPCI, Nagaland govt sign MoU for Dimapur hotel management institute
- ‘Antim: The Final Truth’: Salman Khan’s most committed act in years?
- Myntra Black Friday Sale: Get over 50% off on these beauty products
- Centre agrees to farmers demand of decriminalising stubble burning
- MoS Defence Ajay Bhatt reviews security situation in Nagaland