Guwahati: Internationally-acclaimed Assam filmmaker Jahnu Barua will direct a big-budget Hindi film on the legendary Ahom general Lachit Borphukan.
Announcing the film on Thursday, the 12-times National Award winner said the film would focus on the 1671 Battle of Saraighat.
Guwahati-based Dream House Productionz will produce the film along with top production houses of the country. Suresh Sharma, Managing Director of Satyam Group of Industries, will produce the multi-crore project.
It is expected to go under production in October next year and is currently scheduled for release by late 2022.
Also Read: Five things you must know about Lachit Borphukan, Assam’s greatest military hero
Barua said that after over seven decades of independence, the freedom fighter will get the long-overdue limelight.
He said that it had been his dream for 20 years to make a film about his favourite war-hero. Several plans were discussed. However, due to budgetary constraints, the mega-project could not be taken up.
The filmmaker clarified that there is no politics related to the film. He hoped that the state government comes forward in support of the initiative.
- Blackpink member Jisoo tests COVID-19 positive, to miss [BORN PINK] World Tour shows in Japan
- India committed to enhancing ties with Nepal: President Murmu
- Assam: Tezpur Univ to host conference on India’s rich heritage
- Naga club vandalism: NSF directs members to hoist black flags
- Northeast Startup Festival held in Singapore
- UPSC offers alternative centres to Manipur candidates to appear for test