Rashtriya Swayamsevak Sangh (RSS) chief Mohan Bhagwat arrived in Guwahati on Tuesday for a five-day visit.
Though the purpose of Bhagwat’s visit has not been made official, sources said he is in the city to oversee the organisation’s work in the region. His visit to Assam assumes significance as the BJP-ruled state is set to go for election in April 2021.
According to sources, Bhagawat will meet Assam chief minister Sarbananda Sonowal to “discuss important political issues” during his visit.
The RSS chief is expected to visit Nagaland and Arunachal Pradesh between December 5-12.
While Bhagwat is not likely to make any public appearance in Guwahati, sources said he is scheduled to have a series of closed-door meetings with senior leaders of the organisation and other political leaders.
- UPSC: Two candidates from Tripura clear final hurdle
- Assam’s COVID tally crosses 6 lakh
- PM Modi reaches New York to address 76th UNGA session
- Sikkim reports 62 new COVID-19 cases, 1 more death
- UPSC: Six from Manipur clear final exams, 761 selected across India
- Shocking: UPSC training platform says tribal farmers are “brainless, have no land documents”