Eminent lyricist and academic Gita Hatikakoti of Assam passed away on Tuesday evening at about 6:46 pm at her daughter’s residence in Zoo-Tiniali. She departed her soul at the age of 77.
Born on October 26, 1943, in Jorhat, the renowned literate wrote her first two poems ‘Bonguti’ and ‘Aakash’ at the age of 7. She also penned down the songs of the Assamese movie ‘Rangdhali.’
During her lifetime she wrote a total of 19 books which included ‘Ekhon Aakshor Tolot’, ‘Cacturor Geet’, ‘Palshiga Nau’, ‘Tini Kuri Geet’, and ‘Suror Aakash.’
The renowned intellectual and litterateur received the Assam government’s ‘Shilpi Award’ in 2016.
Assam chief minister Sarbananda Sonowal taking to Twitter also expressed his solace stating, “Saddened to learn about the demise of eminent lyricist and litterateur Gita Hatikakoti baideu. Her works have immensely enriched Assamese music and literature. My sincere condolences to bereaved family members and well-wishers.”
- Sikkim logs 40 new COVID-19 cases, 1 fresh fatality
- Fixed-wing flight services to remote towns of Arunachal Pradesh
- PM urges people to ensure no one is left out of vaccination’s ‘circle of safety’
- Sikkim districts to undergo nomenclature change: CM Golay
- How this social entrepreneur is championing love for voiceless animals
- Assam: 5 of 6 accused deny charges of instigating Gorukhuti violence