Shillong: 2020 marks the 121st Celebration of the Seng Kut Snem foundation. This foundation dates back to the 19th century when the Seng Khasi was founded, and it is celebrated to commemorate the resistant movement of their forefathers against the alien culture.
Seng Kut Snem an occasion celebrated on November 23, of every year, with pomp and grandeur but this year due to the COVID-19 pandemic it is being celebrated in a low key affair.
Each year the state always witnessed a huge crowd taking part in this celebration, with a march from Mawkhar towards Weiking ground, dancing to the beat of the Nakra (drums). Different tableaux from different Seng Khasi Unit are always presented every year. Men and women would be seen all decked up in their attire.
However, it has not been the same this year. There was no presentation of tableaux or processions or cultural programme was carried out. Limited people drove their car towards Weiking though not failing to dress in their traditional attire.
Acting Syiem of Hima Mylliem, Ainam Manik Syiem was the chief guest of the occasion. While the administration had permitted 300 people to attend but less than 250 people attended the occasion.
- How feasible is it to demarcate Assam-Mizoram border using space tech?
- John Abraham announced as the brand ambassador for MotoGP India
- Nagaland: Paediatric Task Force set up to prepare for COVID-19 third wave
- Arunachal: Traffic wardens call for protest on August 9
- International Beer Day: Lesser-known Indian beers you should try!
- MP govt announces Rs 1 cr reward for Hockey players Vivek Sagar, Nilakanta Sharma