Former Assam chief minister Tarun Gogoi passed away at Gauhati Medical College and Hospital (GMCH) at 5.34 pm on Monday. He was admitted to the hospital due to post-COVID-related complications on November 4.
The 86-year-old Congress veteran leader had been on ventilator support and had suffered multiple organ failures.
Tarun Gogoi’s body will be kept at the GMCH tonight, Ripun Bora, Member of Parliament, Rajya Sabha & President, Assam Pradesh Congress Committee, confirmed.
Following this, his body will be taken to his official residence in Dispur tomorrow morning. Then, he will be taken to Congress state headquarters Rajiv Bhawan, after which his body will be taken to Srimanta Sankardeva Kalakshetra for public viewing at around 4 pm.
His mortal remains will remain there until the morning of November 26. His final journey will take him to a church, temple and a mosque, after which he will be cremated with full state honours.
- Diplomacy, prayers: Things to know about the Ukraine crisis
- Mizoram logs 1,756 new Covid-19 cases, 4 deaths
- Mizoram making massive efforts to control drug menace: Guv in R-Day speech
- Assam: Paragliding accident at Tinsukia resort claims one life
- 118-year-old Sumi village celebrates foundation day in Assam
- British PM flags vaccine bond with India in Republic Day message