Guwahati: Ahead of the much-anticipated Bodoland Territorial Regional (BTR) elections, former Bodoland People’s Front (BPF) leader Biswajit Daimary has joined BJP along with party general secretary Emmanuel Mushahary at a ceremony on Sunday morning.
Assam Chief Minister Sarbananda Sonowal, BJP state chief Ranjeet Dass, and national general secretary Dilip Saikia were present during the function among others.
On November 11, the BPF working president had quit the party. In a letter addressed to BPF president Hagrama Mohilary, Daimary said that the decision had been coming for quite some time.
Following this, on Saturday he also quit as Rajya Sabha MP. His term was to end in 2026.
In his address, CM Sonowal said that the joining of two senior leaders is a good sign for the upcoming BTC elections. “It has become clear that BJP will form the BTC this year. I hope their joining will strengthen our party,” added the CM.
The political developments will play a crucial role for BJP in BTR elections scheduled to take place in two phases on December 7 and 10. Vote counting will be held on December 12.
Also Read: Rajya Sabha MP Biswajit Daimary resigns as working president of BPF; likely to join BJP
- Nagaland: Angami bodies, students clean iconic Kisama heritage village
- Tripura State Rifles’ soldier kills self
- Manipur: Kuki students slam tribal body’s call to lift NH-2 blockade
- Assam: Environmentalists envisage ‘zero waste village’ near Chandubi lake
- IIT Guwahati retains 7th spot in ‘Engineering’ category of NIRF rankings 2023
- Nitin Gadkari lays foundation stone for two NH projects in Assam