Imphal: In a major development towards the fight against illegal activities, security forces along with Manipur police recovered a huge consignment of drugs worth over Rs 287 crore.
As per the official statement, a joint team of Assam Rifles and Manipur Police carried out a major operation on November 11 and seized nearly 72 kg of Brown Sugar from a hideout in Kamu village of Thoubal district.
Based on intelligence inputs received about a hidden in the area awaiting further distribution to various parts of the country, multiple teams were launched by Assam Rifles and Manipur Police on the intervening night of 10 and 11 November, it said.
Three concealed bags containing Brown Sugar were recovered in the early hours of 11 November, officials said.
In a separate incident, troops of Assam Rifles in a coordinated operation intercepted a large convoy of vehicles carrying smuggled foreign-origin textile and consumer goods near Moreh, an international trade centre in Manipur.
As per the official report, the smuggled goods were estimated to be worth Rs 75 lakh. The seized goods were being smuggled through porous Indo-Myanmar border without paying any customs duty, thereby causing a loss to the Government exchequer, it added.
Altogether 26 individuals who were transporting the illegal goods and the vehicles along with the recovered items were handed over to Moreh Police for further legal action, it said.
- ‘Kanyadaan’ an outdated ritual or important custom? Alia Bhatt’s ad sparks debate
- World Contraception Day 2021: Why we must learn about contraception
- Bengaluru FC beat gritty Army Green 3-2 to enter Durand Cup semifinals
- Assam claims PFI behind police-peasant conflict in Sipajhar
- Arunachal will benefit most from oil palm cultivation: Khandu
- Legislature needs to revisit laws to suit ‘practical realities’: CJI