A Congress delegation was allegedly attacked with stones and marbles using slingshots by miscreants near the Assam-Mizoram border when the Congress team visited a flashpoint on Sunday.
The Congress team comprised of All India Mahila Congress president Sushmita Dev and leader of the Opposition in Assam Assembly Debabrata Saikia, among others.
The incident comes at a time when the governments and people of both Assam and Mizoram have been caught in a border row for a month with both the states sharing 164.6 kms of border.
Also Read: Assam-Mizoram border clashes: Mizoram Police to be replaced by 3 BSF Companies
Sushmita Dev criticised the Chief Minister of Assam Sarbananda Sonowal and the Finance Minister Himanta Biswa Sharma for failing to resolve the border issue. Team EastMojo tried contacting Dev for comments but was unable to reach her. This story will be updated as and when we are able to reach her for comments.
The Congress team alleged that the Mizoram Police erected barricades about 3 km inside Assam and used the aggressive locals to prevent the members from advancing further.
The Leader of the Opposition in the Assam Legislative Assembly, Debabrata Saikia took stock of the situation along the Assam-Mizoram inter state border in Cachar district on Sunday.
After visiting the border areas in the morning, Saikia held a meeting with Deputy Commissioner, Keerthi Jalli, Superintendent of Police, Bhanwar Lal Meena and other senior officials at the Deputy Commissioner’s conference hall in the afternoon.
Also Read: Assam-Mizoram border tense after death of an alleged drug peddler
- Universal Basic Income does not cause inflation
- Antarctic ice age survival story: life seeking ice-free refuges imitates art in Ice Age, the movie
- Covid cases: Govt planning nationwide drill to take stock of hospital preparedness
- Meghalaya: Citizens, forest officials nab illegal timber
- India will become ‘Vishwaguru’ in knowledge: Assam Governor
- Congress protests in Guwahati over action against Rahul