In its latest attempt to clamp down on the drug menace in the state, Assam Police arrested Hajo’s “most wanted” drug mafia, Motiur Rehman, on Thursday. Acting on a tipoff, the police caught Rehman during the operation.
The police also seized drugs worth Rs 9 lakh packed in 69 containers and cash worth Rs 31,200 from his premises as well. “We suspect that the drug is heroin,” stated one of the police officials.
After the arrest, Motiur Rehman aka Moti- in his confession stated, “I have procured the drugs directly from Riju of Jalukbari, (Guwahati, Assam).” However, he added that he had brought the drugs worth “Rs500-600” for self-consumption and they were not for sale. He added, “most of the youths of Hajo are habitual drug users.”
This arrest comes just days after a youth from Hajo – Mitu Malakar was found dead on November 4 near the Tourism Department Offices under mysterious circumstances. Malakar allegedly had a history of drug abuse, and according to the victim’s brother, he had been sober for the last six months.
Prior to this, in March the Hajo police seized huge quantities of cough syrup, drugs, tablets, mobile phones, and cash from three drug peddlers. The police were able to apprehend the miscreants after acting on a tipoff from sources.
- India’s budget will be ray of hope for world: PM Modi
- Northeast India weather: Winter chill to give way to warmer days
- Guaranteed win: Ex-Tripura MLA’s family is contesting from 3 parties
- Nagaland 2023: Ceasefire board bans NSCN groups from carrying arms
- Death toll rises to 90 in Pakistan mosque suicide bombing
- Leprosy prevalence rate down to 0.45 per 10k population in 2021-22: Minister