Imphal: The High Court of Manipur on Thursday declared the election of Kakching assembly constituency MLA Yengkhom Surchandra Singh as null and void.
Surchandra was elected on Congress ticket to the Manipur state Assembly. He later joined the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) party.
M Rameshwor had filed a petition in April 2017 against Yenkhom Surchandra Singh for not appropriately divulging assets belonging to him and his wife.
Yengkhom Surchandra Singh will appeal in Supreme Court.
Also Read: Manipur political development: 5 former Cong MLAs join BJP in Delhi
Following the HC order, BJP candidate Rameshwor, who came in second during the 2017 assembly election, will be the new MLA of Kakching.
As per reports, similar cases against three Congress MLAs are pending at the court. They are Dr Nimaichand Luwang, BJP from Andro Assembly Constituency against Th Shyamkumar, INC; Jyotin Waikhom, BJP from Thangmeiband Assembly Constituency against Kh Joykishan, INC and Y Irabot Singh, BJP from Wangkhei Assembly Constituency against Okram Henry Singh, INC are likely to be declared within this month.
Also Read: Punish scam culprits before Manipur civil service re-exam, says student body
- Manipur: Another shelter home for Myanmar refugees in Churachandpur
- Education might not save you from cognitive decline: study
- Mizoram celebrates Palm Sunday
- Bhutanese King to visit India from April 3-5
- Home Minister Amit Shah shown black flag by Congressmen in Mizoram
- PM Modi condoles Salim Durani’s demise, says he made key contribution in world of cricket