Agartala: The Tripura police have arrested a person in a case of alleged molestation and harassment of a folk singer on Tuesday in Nischintapur village bordering Bangladesh.
A video clip doing rounds on social media shows a group of boys abusing and taking her photographs and videos. One of them is seen twisting the girls arm.
Also Read: Khadi Experience – The tale of two cities
Speaking with reporters, Amtali Sub-divisional police officer (SDPO) Anirban Das said that the victim had gone to visit a Durga Puja Pandal and was attacked on her way back home. She was with a friend at the time.
Authorities say this could be a case of moral policing.
“The way the accused handled them is inappropriate, and we the video clip in our possession to prove it,” said Das.
Also Read: Superstar Rajinikanth to quit politics?
Social, cultural and political organizations have protested against the assault of the 26-year-old singer. Some sent a memorandum to the West district Superintendent of police Manik Das demanding immediate arrest of the culprits on Wednesday evening.
The police arrested an accused named Sanjib as part of a preliminary investigation after the victim filed a complaint with the Amtali police station.
The victim in an interview to a local cable television channel said that while she was on her way back home on a motorcycle with her colleague, when the accused tried to molest her. Upon hearing her cries, some more people assembled started harassing and abusing her while taking her video on their mobile cameras.
- Assam swimmer breaks 12-year national record in 100m butterfly
- Manipur celebrates Mera Houchongba, marks day of solidarity
- Meghalaya by-polls: Independent Esron Marweiñ says farmers his top priority
- NEIPDA calls for 48-hr petrol pump closure in Guwahati
- Flood: Central team visits Assam to assess damages; state seeks funds
- Priyanka Gandhi stopped by UP police from going to Agra, taken to police lines