Guwahati: Bornali Gogoi, becomes the first woman from Assam to be commissioned as the wing commander of the Indian Air Force (IAF). Hailing from Lakhimpur district of Assam, Gogoi joined the force as a pilot officer on May 26 in 1996. From there she got promoted to flying officer and then to flying lieutenant. Recently Gogoi achieved the feat to become the first woman from the state to get promoted as the wing commander of the IAF.
The officer of the IAF have been meritorious since school as she clinched the 16th position in her matriculation exam back in 1985. A student of Cotton College, Guwahati from where she completed her higher secondary and then went on to pursue engineering in electronics and telecommunication from Assam Engineering College (AEC). She also put her mark there by securing the first position in her class.
Gogoi later completed her masters degree in engineering from Birla Institute of Technology and Science.
- Assam swimmer breaks 12-year national record in 100m butterfly
- Manipur celebrates Mera Houchongba, marks day of solidarity
- Meghalaya by-polls: Independent Esron Marweiñ says farmers his top priority
- NEIPDA calls for 48-hr petrol pump closure in Guwahati
- Flood: Central team visits Assam to assess damages; state seeks funds
- Priyanka Gandhi stopped by UP police from going to Agra, taken to police lines