Sanjib Basak, an artist from Dhubri, has created an idol of Goddess Durga out of medical waste. He has used 40,000 expired tablets, capsules and syringes to create a 6.5-foot high idol.
To complete this idol, Basak who works as a field officer with the Dhubri district disaster management authority, persevered for nearly three months. At a time when the pandemic has laid down several restrictions for people during Durga Puja, people are lauding this artist online for his inspirational artwork.
Basak says that the idea to make an idol from expired tablets crossed his mind upon seeing stocks of expired pills at medical stores in Dhubri that could not be returned to pharmaceutical companies due to lockdown. So he collected substantial medical waste in the subsequent months.
Basak has received many accolades and recognition for his innovative idols over the years, including and entry into the Assam Book for Records in 2019.
- Assam Rifles seize 240 bags of areca nuts worth over 46 lakh
- Sipajhar eviction drive: Police arrest photographer in video
- Assam is on state-sponsored fire: Rahul Gandhi on Sipajhar
- Sikkim reports 62 new COVID-19 cases, one more fatality
- Vaccine at home for differently-abled, people with restricted mobility: Govt
- Manipur: Tribal leader shot dead; Naga rights’ body condemns killing