Guwahati: Eminent economist and founder CMD of the North Eastern Development Finance Corporation Ltd (NEDFi), Dr Jayanta Madhab passed away at Apollo Hospital in Guwahati on Sunday midnight. He was 90.
He will be cremated with full state honour. Assam chief secretary Kumar Sanjay Krishna has been asked to attend the event on behalf of the state government by the chief minister of Assam Sarbananda Sonowal.
With his death, Assam has lost a prominent intellectual; Chief Minister Sarbananda Sonowal has also mourned his death.
Originally from Jorhat in Assam, Dr Madhav was instrumental in conceiving NEDFi. In fact, he was handpicked by the then Union finance minister Dr Manmohan Singh, who was also his classmate, to lead the Guwahati-based development bank.
Former director of Asian Development Bank (ADB), he also served as advisor to then Assam chief minister Tarun Gogoi, but quit, citing bureaucratic red-tape.
A noted economist, Dr Madhab graduated in Economic honours from JB College, Jorhat, completed his MA from Gauhati University, and subsequently went on the get his doctorate in financial management from London School of Economics.
Also Read: IPL 2020|Kings XI Punjab pull off nail-biter in historic double Super Over against Mumbai
- Fast X review: proof that there’s method in madness of the franchise
- More looted arms recovered in violence-hit Manipur
- Assam: 3F Oil Palm collaborates with state govt for ceremonial plantation
- Naga club vandalism: Angamis urges NSF to withdraw FIR
- 57 arms, 318 ammunition, 5 bombs recovered in strife-torn Manipur
- 15 construction workers killed in vehicle collision in Bangladesh