Imphal: Troops of Assam Rifles arrested one drug smuggler along with huge quantity of contraband items, worth at least Rs 6.5 crore, at Moreh in Manipur.
As per the official statement, based on an intelligence input on smuggling of drugs, the security forces launched an operation on Tuesday along the Indo-Myanmar border at Haolenphai village.
At around 2:30 am on October 13, the troops noticed movement of an individual trying to cross the border from the Myanmar side at the nearby international pillar no. 76.
On seeing the security forces, the suspected individual ran away and in the darkness jumped into a deep gorge in an attempt to escape, but the alert troops subsequently chased and caught the individual, it said.
On thorough checking, the troops recovered at least 1.3 lakh World is Yours (WIY) tablets packed in 13 large packets with Rs 6.5 crore at the international market.
On further questioning, the individual revealed that the illegal consignment of contraband was collected by him from a Burmese national from the porous Indo-Myanmar border area.
The arrested individual has been identified as Mangneo Vaiphai, a resident of Tengnoupal bazaar in Tengnoupal district. Later, the arrested smuggler along with the recovered contraband items was handed over to Moreh police station for further legal action.
- Guwahati pedals for change with Mountain Bike race
- Bharat bandh fails to evoke much response in Tripura
- Meghalaya entrepreneur receives special gift from CM Sangma
- Nagaland reports 17 new COVID cases, 1 more fatality
- NSCN(IM) invited to Delhi to continue talks: Nagaland CM
- Naga leader murder: JAC calls for 48-hr strike, Manipur govt seeks more time to meet demands