Imphal: Troops of Assam Rifles arrested one drug smuggler along with huge quantity of contraband items, worth at least Rs 6.5 crore, at Moreh in Manipur.
As per the official statement, based on an intelligence input on smuggling of drugs, the security forces launched an operation on Tuesday along the Indo-Myanmar border at Haolenphai village.
At around 2:30 am on October 13, the troops noticed movement of an individual trying to cross the border from the Myanmar side at the nearby international pillar no. 76.
On seeing the security forces, the suspected individual ran away and in the darkness jumped into a deep gorge in an attempt to escape, but the alert troops subsequently chased and caught the individual, it said.
On thorough checking, the troops recovered at least 1.3 lakh World is Yours (WIY) tablets packed in 13 large packets with Rs 6.5 crore at the international market.
On further questioning, the individual revealed that the illegal consignment of contraband was collected by him from a Burmese national from the porous Indo-Myanmar border area.
The arrested individual has been identified as Mangneo Vaiphai, a resident of Tengnoupal bazaar in Tengnoupal district. Later, the arrested smuggler along with the recovered contraband items was handed over to Moreh police station for further legal action.
- PM’s call for mass drive on Sunday an insult: Manipur TNL
- Assam: Train equipped with state-of-art features flagged off
- No hope of Left’s revival in Tripura, says leader of Oppn Animesh Debbarma
- How a neurosurgeon is training the next gen of Wushu athletes of Manipur
- Meghalaya: Harijan Colony issue could be solved this year, says deputy CM
- Tripura: National Highway blocked, railway affected during TIPRA bandh