Imphal: Ahead of the upcoming by-elections in Manipur on November 7, some senior Congressmen joined the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) on Monday after resigning from the party.
Some of the prominent names include former chief secretary and Congress candidate of inner Manipur Parliamentary constituency O Nabakishore, former state Congress vice-president N Mangi of Kumbi constituency, and former minister A Biren.
Chief Minister N Biren Singh formally welcomed the new members into the party at a ceremony held at the CM’s secretariat in Imphal
“BJP has become the most popular and people-oriented political party in the state of Manipur too,” said CM N Biren Singh.
MLA Abdul Nadir from the Lilong Assembly constituency, a Muslim-dominated area, was among the six Congress legislators who resigned from the party. However, unlike the other MLAs, Nadir declined to join the BJP.
On Sunday, the BJP party announced its candidatures for four Assembly constituencies for the upcoming by-elections. However, the party is yet to announce the candidate for Lilong Assembly constituency.
The names of four candidates’ announced by BJP include Oinam Lukhoi Singh from Wangoi, who currently holds the post of minister for agriculture & animal husbandry and tourism; Paonam Brojen from Wangjing-Tentha; Ngamthang Haokip from Setu and Ginsuanhau Zou from Singhat Assembly constituencies.
- Assam swimmer breaks 12-year national record in 100m butterfly
- Manipur celebrates Mera Houchongba, marks day of solidarity
- Meghalaya by-polls: Independent Esron Marweiñ says farmers his top priority
- NEIPDA calls for 48-hr petrol pump closure in Guwahati
- Flood: Central team visits Assam to assess damages; state seeks funds
- Priyanka Gandhi stopped by UP police from going to Agra, taken to police lines