Imphal: Ahead of the upcoming by-elections in Manipur on November 7, some senior Congressmen joined the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) on Monday after resigning from the party.
Some of the prominent names include former chief secretary and Congress candidate of inner Manipur Parliamentary constituency O Nabakishore, former state Congress vice-president N Mangi of Kumbi constituency, and former minister A Biren.
Chief Minister N Biren Singh formally welcomed the new members into the party at a ceremony held at the CM’s secretariat in Imphal
“BJP has become the most popular and people-oriented political party in the state of Manipur too,” said CM N Biren Singh.
MLA Abdul Nadir from the Lilong Assembly constituency, a Muslim-dominated area, was among the six Congress legislators who resigned from the party. However, unlike the other MLAs, Nadir declined to join the BJP.
On Sunday, the BJP party announced its candidatures for four Assembly constituencies for the upcoming by-elections. However, the party is yet to announce the candidate for Lilong Assembly constituency.
The names of four candidates’ announced by BJP include Oinam Lukhoi Singh from Wangoi, who currently holds the post of minister for agriculture & animal husbandry and tourism; Paonam Brojen from Wangjing-Tentha; Ngamthang Haokip from Setu and Ginsuanhau Zou from Singhat Assembly constituencies.
- Sikkim: Additional AG Sudesh Joshi resigns amid ‘foreigner’ row
- Tripura 2023: Seat sharing with Tipra Motha likely, says CPI-M
- Budget: FM gives Rs 35,000cr outlay for energy transition, net zero goals
- Meghalaya 2023: Joined NPP to work for development, says Marthon
- Why making phone calls can be good for young people’s wellbeing
- Meghalaya 2023: Is it James Sangma vs Rupa Marak in Dadenggre?