Imphal: Manipur has reported its first doctor who lost life due to COVID-19 infection on Monday.
The deadly virus has claimed the life of a 65-year-old Dr Wahengbam Imo Singh, a prominent gynecologist (IVF specialist) of Manipur, while he was undergoing treatment at a private hospital in Delhi with severe ARDS (Acute respiratory distress syndrome).
As per reports, Dr Wahengbam, who was a consultant at Suba Hospital & Assisted Reproductive Center in Imphal, got infected the virus while on duty and tested with COVID-19 positive at RIMS Hospital in the state.
Also Read: Parents refuse to pay school fees in Manipur
Later, he shifted at Apollo Hospital in the national capital after his lung got infected.
Since its first case of coronavirus reported on March 24 in the state, many healthcare workers, including doctors, nurses and paramedics staff have contracted the virus while performing their duties; however, this is the first such case where a doctor reported death due to COVID-19.
Dr Wahengbam was the president of Obstetrics and Gynaecology Society, Manipur and known for his proficiency in identifying, diagnosing and treating various reproductive health issues.
Also Read: Manipur MMA fighter defeats Chinese opponent at ONE Championship: Reign of Dynasties
- Bengal panchayat polls to be held on July 8
- 2 Bangladesh border guards trespass into Meghalaya, threaten locals
- Manipur situation ‘peaceful’, centre okays Rs 101-cr package for displaced people
- One crore saplings to be planted on Gandhi Jayanti: Assam CM
- Arunachal Christian Forum expresses concern over Manipur violence
- Manipur ‘to seize all unlawful arms, weapons’ in hills and valley areas