Imphal: Manipur has reported its first doctor who lost life due to COVID-19 infection on Monday.
The deadly virus has claimed the life of a 65-year-old Dr Wahengbam Imo Singh, a prominent gynecologist (IVF specialist) of Manipur, while he was undergoing treatment at a private hospital in Delhi with severe ARDS (Acute respiratory distress syndrome).
As per reports, Dr Wahengbam, who was a consultant at Suba Hospital & Assisted Reproductive Center in Imphal, got infected the virus while on duty and tested with COVID-19 positive at RIMS Hospital in the state.
Also Read: Parents refuse to pay school fees in Manipur
Later, he shifted at Apollo Hospital in the national capital after his lung got infected.
Since its first case of coronavirus reported on March 24 in the state, many healthcare workers, including doctors, nurses and paramedics staff have contracted the virus while performing their duties; however, this is the first such case where a doctor reported death due to COVID-19.
Dr Wahengbam was the president of Obstetrics and Gynaecology Society, Manipur and known for his proficiency in identifying, diagnosing and treating various reproductive health issues.
- Bar Himanta from by-poll campaign: Cong leader writes to poll panel
- Vaccination drive a success because of you all: Arunachal CM to healthcare workers
- Sheriff: Alec Baldwin fired prop gun on movie set, killing woman
- Nagaland: 13 cops under investigation for misappropriation of gold bars
- First female head of Japan labour lobby vows to empower women
- CISF apologises to actor after she is asked to remove prosthetic limb at airport