Guwahati: A wild elephant was found dead at Torajan village in Sonitpur district along Assam- Arunachal Pradesh border under Chariduar Police Station on Monday.
The elephant’s body was found in a paddy field in the village.
According to the forest department, the elephant came out of Balipara forest reserve in search of food.
The reason for the death pachyderm is not yet ascertained.
Earlier last month, two wild elephants were electrocuted after coming in contact with a live wire at the Rani forest reserve in Kamrup district.
According to a forest official, the duo were a usual sight in the area and were seen moving out of the peripheral forests in search for food.
- Sheikh Hasina orders immediate action against those who incited violence using religion
- VHP stages protest in West Bengal, Assam over attacks on minorities in Bangladesh
- Northeast to be developed as India’s bio-economic hub: Jitendra Singh
- Sikkim logs 27 new COVID-19 cases, 1 fresh fatality
- IIT-Delhi to offer BTech course in Energy Engineering from 2021 academic session
- Liquor worth Rs 720 crore sold in Bengal during Durga Puja