The Jorhat Police have arrested three persons in connection with illegal betting on the current season of the largely popular cricket tournament, Indian Premier Legue (IPL) from Titabor on Friday.
As part of the drive on suspected IPL betting conducted by the Jorhat police three persons identified as Madhab Jyoti Gogoi (30), Nilomoni Das (33), and Debajit Gogoi (28) have been apprehended for their alleged involvement in betting in the ongoing IPL season. The Jorhat police have recovered notebooks, mobile phones, and Rs. 1,04,100 from them.
The Indian Premier League is underway in the UAE in a bio-secure bubble. Police in different states are actively investigating several organised illegal betting groups. The perpetrators operate in utmost secrecy working in trusted circles, making it difficult for the police to track. According to top police sources organised rings operate from obscure towns with the help of local administration in some instances.
Karnataka Police recently arrested four people who were involved in online cricket betting during the 2020 edition of IPL. Rs 4.91 lakh in cash got recovered in this raid.
Earlier in the month, two betting rackets were busted in the country—the first in Bengaluru where the police arrested three persons. In the second incident, the Jaipur Police arrested three persons, for allegedly betting on the ongoing IPL.
Also Read: IPL betting unabated across India?
- Mizoram poll watchdog seeks action over model code violation
- Mizoram: Fourth consecutive day with under 1,000 fresh Covid-19 cases
- Arunachal: Bike thief, five others arrested from Seppa
- Aizawl-Shillong among six air routes flagged off in NE
- Tripura TMC members gherao police station over attack on youth leader
- Fabindia’s ‘Jashn-e-Riwaaz’ sparks controversy, Netizens allege ‘Abrahamisation’ of Diwali