Eddie Van Halen, a rock music legend and an expert guitarist, died on Tuesday, at the age of 65, following a ‘long and arduous’ battle with throat cancer.
His son Wolf Van Halen, confirmed the same on Twitter. “I can’t believe I’m having to write this but my father, Edward Lodewijk Van Halen, has lost his long and arduous battle with cancer this morning”, he wrote. He added, “He was the best father I could ever ask for. Every moment I’ve shared with him on and off stage was a gift. My heart is broken and I don’t think I’ll ever fully recover from this loss. I love you so much, Pop.”
Wolf Van Halen is a bass player himself and had played along with his father in the band. Eddie is among the top 20 best- selling artists of all time and has sold more than 75 million albums. According to Reuters, his band’s debut album, which released in 1978, shot to No.19 on the Billboard charts. The band’s hits include ‘Runnin’ with the Devil, and Eruption. The band was inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 2007.
Rolling Stone Magazine put Eddie at No. 8 in its list of the 100 greatest guitarist.
Upon his demise, fans and many of the music industry’s biggest names have paid tribute to him on social media.
- 67th National Film Awards: Here’s a list of winners being awarded
- Won’t hesitate to seek foreign help for relief: PM Deuba on Nepal floods
- Rajinikanth receives Dada Saheb Phalke award
- Kashmiri, UP, Bihar students scuffle at Punjab college after India-Pak match
- After historic high vs India, Pakistan seek revenge on New Zealand
- Meet Manipur’s Sister Christina, who administered 15,000 vaccine doses