Rafael Nadal defeated 19-year-old Jannik Sinner 7-6(4), 6-4, 6-1 after 269 minutes in their Roland Garros quarter-final.
The 19-year-old Sinner, who is the reigning Next Gen ATP Finals champion, showed absolutely no fear against the 12-time champion, as he served for the first set and gained an early break in the second, before succumbing against Nadal’s devastating form this fortnight. Nadal has not lost a single set as he reached 13th semi final in the event, dropping only 34 games in 15 sets.
Sinner never seemed to panic against Nadal, which has been a rare sight at the ATP tour. The Italian looked especially comfortable in the cross-court rallies between his backhand and Nadal’s lethal forehand, but eventually Nadal proved steadier in key moments, with the legendary lefty winning 59 percent of his second serve points.
Nadal has now won 11 of his 14 Roland Garros quarter-finals in straight sets.
Nadal will now take on Diego Schwartzman, in the semi –finals, who defeated Dominic Thiem on Wednesday.
“I’m very, very happy to be in the semi-finals again here at Roland Garros,” Nadal said in the post match interview. “No doubt that this is the most important place for me and the most beautiful place to play. [I’m] just very, very happy.”, he further added.
Meanwhile the other matches of the French Open on October 6 2020 are as follows-
Fourth round: Philipe-Chatrier
P Carreno Busta – 6 7 6
D Altmaier – 2 5 2
D Schwartzman-7 5 6 7 6
D Thiem-6 7 7 6 2
- Sheriff: Alec Baldwin fired prop gun on movie set, killing woman
- Nagaland: 13 cops under investigation for misappropriation of gold bars
- First female head of Japan labour lobby vows to empower women
- CISF apologises to actor after she is asked to remove prosthetic limb at airport
- 2 of family killed in lightning strike in Bengal
- AASU stages protest against fuel price hike in Assam