Imphal: The Election Commission of India (ECI) has declared by-elections to three more seats which are lying vacant at the Manipur Legislative Assembly on November 7.
Apart from the previously notified Lilong and Wangjing Tentha, the three seats lying vacant are Wangoi, Saitu and Singhat.
“The Commission is said to have decided to hold by-elections to fill the three vacancies after taking into consideration various factors like local festivals, weather conditions, movements of forces, pandemic etc,” ECI stated in an issued press statement.
ECI further stated that the counting of votes will be on November 10 and the entire election process would be completed November 12.
It may be recalled that all the five constituencies which are set for by-elections were vacated by five Congress MLAs following their abrupt resignation from the party and their membership from the Manipur Legislative Assembly.
Later, they joined the N Biren Singh-led BJP party in the state and two of them namely Okram Henry Singha and Oinam Lukhoi Singh were inducted as ministers in the cabinet.
- Sikkim: Physical classes for students from LKG to standard 8 resumed
- Two Rohingyas detained outside Army camp in Jammu
- Mizoram poll watchdog seeks action over model code violation
- Mizoram: Fourth consecutive day with under 1,000 fresh Covid-19 cases
- Arunachal: Bike thief, five others arrested from Seppa
- Aizawl-Shillong among six air routes flagged off in NE