Merely 72 hours after the inauguration of Atal Rohtang tunnel in Himachal Pradesh by PM Narendra Modi, three motor accidents have already been reported inside the tunnel.
According to reports, the CCTV cameras installed in the tunnel recorded the accidents. However, no casualties or grievous injuries were reported.
Since the opening, the world’s longest highway tunnel has attracted tourists and motorists in thousands, causing concern for the Border Roads Organisation (BRO) and district authorities.
The engineering marvel has become a racecourse, where motorists are disregarding traffic rules, and also clicking selfies while riding. With visitors eager to take pictures, there has also been a blatant disregard for rules that disallow vehicles from stopping inside the tunnel.
Reports further state that due to the shortage of traffic police personnel, there has been chaos and rash driving.
Meanwhile, Tribal Affairs Minister Dr Ram Lal Markanda has asked the district administration to take immediate action. He has urged for the district administrations of Lahaul Spiti and Kullu-Manali to work together and come up with a safety plan.
- Assam reports 384 new COVID cases, 4 more fatalities
- In Shillong, black flags and black balloons mark protest against fuel price hike
- Khanapara Teer Result today: Winners of Khanapara Teer for October 22
- Shillong Teer Result today: Check winners of Shillong Teer for October 22
- Assam: Protests against govt’s proposal to fell 5,000 trees for four-lane project
- Actor Ananya Panday appears before NCB for second day