Merely 72 hours after the inauguration of Atal Rohtang tunnel in Himachal Pradesh by PM Narendra Modi, three motor accidents have already been reported inside the tunnel.
According to reports, the CCTV cameras installed in the tunnel recorded the accidents. However, no casualties or grievous injuries were reported.
Since the opening, the world’s longest highway tunnel has attracted tourists and motorists in thousands, causing concern for the Border Roads Organisation (BRO) and district authorities.
The engineering marvel has become a racecourse, where motorists are disregarding traffic rules, and also clicking selfies while riding. With visitors eager to take pictures, there has also been a blatant disregard for rules that disallow vehicles from stopping inside the tunnel.
Reports further state that due to the shortage of traffic police personnel, there has been chaos and rash driving.
Meanwhile, Tribal Affairs Minister Dr Ram Lal Markanda has asked the district administration to take immediate action. He has urged for the district administrations of Lahaul Spiti and Kullu-Manali to work together and come up with a safety plan.
Also Read: Assam Police SI arrested for taking Rs 1 lakh as bribe
- TB to be eliminated by 2025: Manipur health minister Sapam Ranjan Singh
- India’s largest hydropower project to commence soon: Arunachal Dy CM
- Manipur: One PLA insurgent arrested in Bishnupur
- Does it matter what time I go to bed?
- Charred bodies of 3 Mizoram residents found inside Myanmar territory
- Meet in Delhi discuss challenges for mountain states of India