Guwahati: On charges of demanding and receiving Rs 1 lakh from a civilian as bribe, sleuths of Assam Police arrested a sub inspector, Dipjyoti Das, from Dibrugarh.
The SIO, posted at Tengakhat Police Station from Dibrugarh district, was arrested by the Officer in Charge of the same police station.
Additionally, the money was also recovered from his possession. Sources from the police department suggest that Das had demanded the said amount in connection to a POCSO case.
ADGP of law and order, GP Singh in a Tweet stated, “Sub Inspector Dipjyoti Das of Tengakhat Police Station of Dibrugarh district has been arrested for demanding and receiving INR 1 Lac from a civilian. The said amount has been recovered from his possession. Follow up action is going on. @CMOfficeAssam @DGPAssamPolice @assampolice.”
Earlier, two police officers- Satyajit Borthakur (OC Gauripur Police Station) and Abu Kalam Azad (assistant Sub Inspector)– were also caught on charges of taking bribe of Rs 1 lakh.
- Tripura TMC members gherao police station over attack on youth leader
- Fabindia’s ‘Jashn-e-Riwaaz’ sparks controversy, Netizens allege ‘Abrahamisation’ of Diwali
- Manipur: Police seize arms, ammunition & drugs worth Rs 40 lakh
- Mary Kom to skip National Women’s Boxing Championships
- NESFB Guwahati has 133 vacancies. Details here
- Dera chief Gurmeet Ram Rahim sentenced to life