Two officers of the Indian Navy were killed on October 4 when their glider crashed near Thoppumpady bridge in Kochi. The accident happened when they were performing a routine training sortie after taking off from INS Garuda.
The deceased Naval officers have been identified as Lt Rajeev Jha, aged 39 years from Uttarakhand and Petty officer Sunil Kumar, aged 29 years from Bihar.
Jha is survived by his wife and two kids while Kumar is single. They were declared brought dead at INHS Sanjivani after their bodies were recovered from the crash site.
The Southern Naval Command has initiated an inquiry into the incident and the reason of the crash is still unknown.
The incident comes just two days after an officer of the Navy was killed in Karwar, Karnataka after his glider crashed in the sea. His trainer was injured and was immediately shifted to a hospital.
- Cruise drugs case: Actor Ananya Panday fails to appear before NCB
- PM Modi launches Ayushman Bharat Health Infrastructure Mission
- Gloom over Kolkata airport as bodies of 5 trekkers arrive from Uttarakhand
- 67th National Film Awards: Here’s a list of winners being awarded
- Won’t hesitate to seek foreign help for relief: PM Deuba on Nepal floods
- Rajinikanth receives Dada Saheb Phalke award