Tinsukia: An Assam Rifles person was martyred while another injured after the water tanker they were travelling in was ambushed near Hetlong village between Jairampur and Nampong in Arunachal Pradesh’s Changlang district on Sunday.
However, no militant outfit has taken responsibility for the ambush.
According to highly placed sources in the intelligence agencies, the incident occurred at 9.40 am on Sunday.
“The militants targeted the water tanker by detonating multiple Improvised Explosive Device (IED),” sources said.
Also Read: Glider crash leaves 2 Naval officers dead
“The militants opened fire indiscriminately targeting the 19 Assam Rifles personnel immediately after the blast,” sources said, adding: Several rounds of fire cases have been recovered from the spot.
The source said, the finger of suspicion is on a joint team of National Socialist Council of Nagalim (Khaplang) and United Liberation Front of Asom (Independent).
Another source said, prima facie, the deceased soldier seems to have succumbed to his bullet injuries.
“Another person is in critical condition,” sources added.
The identification of deceased Assam Rifle person and the one injured is still unknown till the time of filing of this report.
- Israel to expand partnership with Indian academic institutions
- Manipur’s Mirabai Chanu has sight set on second world championship title
- Sikkim: NH 10 restored after 8 days of disruption
- Arunachal CM visits Tawang, interacts with India Army jawans
- Rahul Dravid formally applies for head coach’s post; Laxman in fray for NCA?
- Assam: Protests against Dabaka deforestation intensify