Guwahati: Marking the 151st birth anniversary of Mahatma Gandhi, Assam government on Friday observed a low-profile ceremony at Gandhi Mandap in Guwahati. Chief minister Sarbananda Sonowal paid floral tribute to the Father of the Nation followed by prayers.
Guwahati MP Queen Oja and Guwahati Development Department minister Siddhartha Bhattacharya were also present at the to observe the occasion.
Taking to Twitter, the CM wrote, “Offered shraddhanjali to Bapu at Gandhi Mandap in Guwahati. Also took part in an all religion prayer meet held on the occasion and prayed for continued peace & prosperity of Assam.”
Paying tribute, MP Oja wrote,”Bapuji’s ideals of truth & non-violence always inspire us.”
State finance and education minister Himanta Biswa Sarma quoted Gandhi’s lessons on Gandhi Jayanti. He wrote, “Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever ~ #MahatmaGandhi”
Due to the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic, Gandhi Jayanti celebrations held across the state were quiet and low profile.
Officials of Kamrup district opted for a unique way of celebrations, they released swans in Numalijalah Lake.
- Assam Rifles seize 240 bags of areca nuts worth over 46 lakh
- Sipajhar eviction drive: Police arrest photographer in video
- Assam is on state-sponsored fire: Rahul Gandhi on Sipajhar
- Sikkim reports 62 new COVID-19 cases, one more fatality
- Vaccine at home for differently-abled, people with restricted mobility: Govt
- Manipur: Tribal leader shot dead; Naga rights’ body condemns killing