Guwahati: Marking the 151st birth anniversary of Mahatma Gandhi, Assam government on Friday observed a low-profile ceremony at Gandhi Mandap in Guwahati. Chief minister Sarbananda Sonowal paid floral tribute to the Father of the Nation followed by prayers.
Guwahati MP Queen Oja and Guwahati Development Department minister Siddhartha Bhattacharya were also present at the to observe the occasion.
Taking to Twitter, the CM wrote, “Offered shraddhanjali to Bapu at Gandhi Mandap in Guwahati. Also took part in an all religion prayer meet held on the occasion and prayed for continued peace & prosperity of Assam.”
Paying tribute, MP Oja wrote,”Bapuji’s ideals of truth & non-violence always inspire us.”
State finance and education minister Himanta Biswa Sarma quoted Gandhi’s lessons on Gandhi Jayanti. He wrote, “Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever ~ #MahatmaGandhi”
Due to the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic, Gandhi Jayanti celebrations held across the state were quiet and low profile.
Officials of Kamrup district opted for a unique way of celebrations, they released swans in Numalijalah Lake.
- Day after Bhutan earthquake, Nepal, North India hit by tremors
- A microbiologist explains how to avoid food poisoning
- 7 injured in collision involving Lok Sabha MP Gaurav Gogoi’s convoy
- Arunachal border to gain enhanced surveillance with ITBP intelligence posts
- Are NFTs really dead and buried? All signs point to ‘yes’
- United Naga Council lambasts AFSPA imposition in Naga areas of Manipur