Agartala: The Tripura police arrested a 28-year-old man on charges of raping and attempting to murder a 45-year-old in Melaghar area under Sepahijala district of the state.
Speaking with reporters, Melaghar police station officer in-charge Sukanta Bhattacharya said that the accused was identified as Maman Hussein, a daily wage labourer.
“The victim was on her way home from her brother’s house on Wednesday, when the accused forced into paddy field and allegedly raped her. He even tried to strangulate her to death, however, the victim managed to escape,” Bhattacharya said.
He also said that the victim was admitted to hospital and after getting treatment she was released.
A case was registered at Melaghar police station under section 342 (wrongful confinement), 376 (rape), 382 (theft after preparation of causing death), 307 (attempt to murder) of Indian Penal Code (IPC).
The accused person was arrested on Wednesday.
- Two Rohingyas detained outside Army camp in Jammu
- Mizoram poll watchdog seeks action over model code violation
- Mizoram: Fourth consecutive day with under 1,000 fresh Covid-19 cases
- Arunachal: Bike thief, five others arrested from Seppa
- Aizawl-Shillong among six air routes flagged off in NE
- Tripura TMC members gherao police station over attack on youth leader