Imphal: The joint chief electoral officer (CEO) of Manipur has requested the Election Commission of India (ECI) to hold by-elections to three more vacant constituencies of the Manipur Legislative Assembly on November 7.
In a written letter to ECI, CEO Ramananda Nongmeikapam sought permission for holding the by-elections in the three assembly constituencies, namely Saitu, Wangoi and Singhat on Novemer 7. This is in line with the date announced by ECI for Lilong and Wangjing Tentha on Tuesday.
On Wednesday, the three intending candidates of the BJP party namely Ngamthang Haokip (Saitu), Oinam Lukhoi (Wangoi) and Ginsuanhau (Singhat) had submitted an application to ECI requesting for by-polls in their respective constituencies, as per the report.
Earlier, chief minister N Biren Singh had also requested to the ECI for holding of by-elections to those Assembly constituencies whose cases are not pending in the court.
Of the 13 vacant seats lying at the Manipur Legislative Assembly, eight constituencies are under the purview of either stay order or pending cases in the court.
On Tuesday, the ECI announced the scheduled for by-elections in only two assembly constituencies on November 7 and the model code of conduct has come into effect immediately in the entire Thoubal district since Lilong and Wangjing Tentha ACs comes under the same district.
- VHP stages protest in West Bengal, Assam over attacks on minorities in Bangladesh
- Northeast to be developed as India’s bio-economic hub: Jitendra Singh
- Sikkim logs 27 new COVID-19 cases, 1 fresh fatality
- IIT-Delhi to offer BTech course in Energy Engineering from 2021 academic session
- Liquor worth Rs 720 crore sold in Bengal during Durga Puja
- Making NE a strong economic zone important: Meghalaya CM