Shillong: Incessant rains in Meghalaya have now claimed another five lives after a landslide destroyed multiple houses at Lower Lumparing locality in capital Shillong.
According to police reports, five people went missing after the landslide occurred early on Friday morning.
The victims have been identified as Firoza Khan (40), Reziya Ahmed (38), Bela Ahmed (40), Imaded Nongrum (60) and Kayam Uddin (42).
So far, only two bodies have been recovered. They were found buried in the rubble (at the time of filing this report).
Teams from Fire and Emergency Services, State Disaster Response Force and Meghalaya Police have been on the job to find the victims. Due to the incessant rains, it has become even more difficult for the team to find the bodies.
Meanwhile, in West Khasi Hills district, two people were killed, one went missing and two other sustained injuries after a flash flood triggered by the incessant rain caught them. Flash floods and massive landslides have cut off transportation in the district.
The India Meteorological Department (IMD) has issued warnings in East Khasi Hills district with heavy to very heavy rainfall to extremely heavy rainfalls at many places in the coming days.
- 10 ULB militants arrested in Assam
- Lakhs of crores of rupees donated to PM-CARES, where is that money, asks Mamata
- Assam: More DNLA cadre come overground after signing accord
- Assam CM to move Gauhati HC for judicial inquiry into Sipajhar violence
- Home-grown artisans showcase creativity at 2nd Nagaland handmade jewellery exhibition
- China declares all cryptocurrency transactions illegal