Guwahati: Due to the 572nd birth anniversary of Srimanta Sankardeva, Assam’s Kamrup (Metro) district administration has announced Saturday as a “dry day”.
“As per Rule 326 (b) (iv) of the Assam Excise Act, 2000 (Amendment in 2018), the 26th September, 2020 i.e. Janmahotsav of Mahapurush Srimanta Sankardeva will be a Dry Day,” stated the notification signed by deputy commissioner Biswajit Pegu.
The notification has directed that during the aforementioned period no one would be allowed to procure or sell alcohol or any other such substances.
“During the period possession or sale or distribution of spirituous, fermented or intoxicating liquors or other substances of alike nature is completely prohibited” noted the order.
The order also applies to wholesalers, retailers including clubs, hotels and country spirit shops within the district. “All wholesale warehouse, IMFL retail OFF and ON shops including Club ON Hotel ON and Country Spirit Shops will remain closed in Kamrup Metropolitan District,” mentioned the directive from the DC office.
The order further added that any violation of the directive shall amount to “penal action as per law.”
As per the official government of Assam website, the state lists dry days on specifically four occasions every year — Independence Day (August 15) , Republic Day (January 26) , Gandhi Jayanti (October 2) and the birth anniversary of Srimanta Sankardeva. However, the government can also declare a dry day on any other day as and when it may deem to be fit, said the notification.
- Meghalaya organisation writes to CM, urges action on fuel prices
- Russia’s daily Covid-19 death toll passes 1,000
- Man arrested for selling church property worth more than Rs 50 crore
- Watch: What made this Assam teacher bow down before students?
- Singhu border lynching: Victim’s family says he was ‘god-fearing’
- NE records 4- 5°C higher than usual, weather likely to improve in next 24 hrs