Shillong: In an untoward incident, two officials of the Police Reserve, East Khasi Hills District, on Thursday lost their lives after they were buried under the rubble when a landslide had occurred.
Assistant Inspector of General Police, GK Iangrai informed that it was around 5 am a landslide occurred at Police Reserve, East Khasi Hills, on the path going to the Police quarters bordering the road to Wahiingdoh.
“On being informed of the landslide, officials of the department were sent to clear the debris, however, while clearing the debris another landslide occurred at about 11.30 am in the same area and unfortunately two part time workers were buried under the rubble.
The two were identified as Sohibuton Marak and Silnang Marak, both under 30-years-old.
Iangrai informed that police personnel were immediately mobilised including the SDRF and Fire and Emergency Services, who reached the place of incident but the persons could not be located by the teams. By the time they were recovered from under the mudslide, the two persons had already breathed their last.
A UD Case has been taken up by Sadar Police Station and all formalities are being completed; as of now nine families have been evacuated from the area to another place at Police Reserve for relief measures.
Meanwhile, due to incessant rain in Meghalaya, six people lost their lives after the vehicle they were travelling in, was swept away by the flooded Tinhiang River near Mawjai village in South West Khasi Hills district.
- RN Ravi formally relieved as interlocutor for Naga peace talks
- Manipur CM Biren Singh shows off football skills in friendly match
- Saree: Netizens wreak havoc on Delhi restaurant for denying woman entry
- Assam Jobs: KGBV Baksa announces teacher vacancies. Details here
- NASA restructures Human spaceflight unit as pvt space industry expands
- KFC in Sikkim: Interesting facts about the chicken with ‘secret ingredient’