Imphal: In a major cabinet reshuffle in the BJP-led coalition government in Manipur, chief minister N Biren Singh on Thursday dropped six ministers and inducted five new faces, including two former Congress legislators, in the state Cabinet.
Governor Najma A Heptulla administered the oath of office and secrecy to the six MLAs in the presence of CM Singh, chief secretary Rakesh Kumar and other state officials at a function held at Raj Bhawan in Imphal.
The newly inducted MLAs in the cabinet include Okram Henry Singh of Wangkhei, Oinam Lukhoi Singh of Wangoi, Vungzagin Valte of Thanlon, Sorokhaibam Rajen Singh of Lamshang and Thokchom Satyabrata of Yaiskul.
Congress Legislature Party leader Okram Ibobi Singh’s nephew Henry Singh and Lukhoi Singh were among the five ex-Congress MLAs who quit the party and joined BJP last month in New Delhi.
Also Read: BREAKING: Manipur CM Biren Singh drops 3 BJP leaders from ministry
Earlier, governor Heptulla had accepted the CM’s recommendation to drop three ministers from the council of ministers.
The three cabinet members who have been dropped include minister for agriculture and animal husbandry V Hangkhalian, minister for social welfare and cooperation Nemcha Kipgen and minister for education, labour and employment Thokchom Radheshyam Singh.
Later, CM Singh dropped another three ministers — two from the National People’s Party (NPP) and one from LJP. They are health and family welfare minister L Jayantakumar Singh, tribal affairs minister N Kayisii and revenue minister Karam Shyam.
Also Read: Manipur titular king writes to CM Sonowal to recognise Manipuri language in Assam
- Assam: IIT G concludes workshop on ‘Technology Vision 2047’ for NE region
- ‘Goldilocks’ star reveals how water gets to planets like Earth
- Underactive immune response may explain severe Covid in obese: Study
- Are flu cases already 100 times higher than last year? Here’s what we really know about the 2023 flu season
- Antibiotics shouldn’t be used in Covid unless suspicion of bacterial infection: Centre
- How financial stress can affect your mental health