Itanagar: Two persons lost their lives after being washed away by a flash flood triggered by heavy rainfall in the Dari circle of Arunachal Pradesh’s Lepa Rada district on Friday.
The deceased, identified as Bato Doye and Purna Bahadur Thakuria, were reportedly washed away by the sudden flood in the Ego River of the circle.
“The flash flood occurred due to blockade of the river upstream by a massive landslide. The body of Thakuria has been retrieved while that of Doye is still missing,” officials said.
The Ego Bridge over Ego River that connects Likabali with Lepa Rada district has been washed away by the river water and the commuters have been asked to avoid the Likabali-Aalo road.
Incessant rains for more than a week has left trails of devastation in the West and East Siang districts as well.
Chief minister Pema Khandu has expressed grief over the reported loss of lives and properties.
“The department of disaster management is assessing the magnitude of damage loss to public properties, paddy fields and other utility services in all three districts. The government will assess the damages and offer relief according to norms,” Khandu said.
The chief minister said he is in constant touch with the district administrations and the departments concerned.
- Assam swimmer breaks 12-year national record in 100m butterfly
- Manipur celebrates Mera Houchongba, marks day of solidarity
- Meghalaya by-polls: Independent Esron Marweiñ says farmers his top priority
- NEIPDA calls for 48-hr petrol pump closure in Guwahati
- Flood: Central team visits Assam to assess damages; state seeks funds
- Priyanka Gandhi stopped by UP police from going to Agra, taken to police lines