Three militants and a civilian woman were killed, while two CRPF personnel, including an officer, sustained injuries in a predawn gunbattle on Thursday, in Firdousabad locality in Batamaloo area, at around 2.30 am following information about the presence of militants there, officials said.
The gunfight broke out when joint teams of police and CRPF launched a cordon and search operation.
“As the suspected area was being cordoned off, the hiding militants opened fire which was retaliated, triggering an encounter. Three militants were killed in the gunfight,” a police officer said, adding that in the gunfight a deputy commandant of the CRPF was also injured.
“The search operation turned into an encounter after militants opened fire on security forces,” he added.
A woman identified as Kounsar Riyaz of Batamaloo was also killed during the gunfight.
It is the sixth gunfight in Srinagar this year. In the previous five encounters, 11 militants were killed.
- Tripura civic polls announced, voting on November 25
- Tripura: TMC leader Sushmita Dev’s convoy attacked, workers beaten
- Assam reports 384 new COVID cases, 4 more fatalities
- In Shillong, black flags and black balloons mark protest against fuel price hike
- Khanapara Teer Result today: Winners of Khanapara Teer for October 22
- Shillong Teer Result today: Check winners of Shillong Teer for October 22