Imphal: Naga People’s Front (NPF) MLA Leishiyo Keishing was unanimously elected as the chairman of the Manipur Legislative Assembly Hill Area Committee (HAC) on Wednesday.
Leishiyo, who is currently the sitting MLA of Phungyar constituency (ST) of Kamjong district, had resigned from the post of advisor to chief minister N Biren Singh and also the chairman of estimate committee of Manipur Legislative Assembly on September 11.
As per reports, out of the 20 MLAs elected from the hill districts, the HAC chairman post went uncontested since Leishiyo was the lone candidate to have filed the nomination paper.
All 20 MLAs elected from the hill districts of the state are members of the HAC, however, with the recent resignation of four Congress MLAs, only 16 of them remained as the members.
Moreover, despite seven elected MLAs from the hill districts, the Opposition Congress did not field any candidate for the post of HAC chairman, it said.
Article 371(C) of the Constitution of India provides a special provision for the legislation and administration of the hill areas of Manipur in the form of a Hill Area Committee.
The Hill Area Committee is empowered by the Constitution to monitor the law-making and administration of hill areas.
- Arunachal CM exhorts people to perform fundamental duties
- Tripura BJP launches ‘Har Ghar BJP’ outreach programme before polls
- Contribution of women members of Constituent Assembly rarely discussed: PM Modi
- Maha CM, ministers visit Guwahati to pay obeisance to Goddess Kamakhya
- Mizoram: More Kuki-Chin refugees arrive from Bangladesh
- FIFA World Cup in Qatar: Beaming misogyny around the world