Imphal: Naga People’s Front (NPF) MLA Leishiyo Keishing was unanimously elected as the chairman of the Manipur Legislative Assembly Hill Area Committee (HAC) on Wednesday.
Leishiyo, who is currently the sitting MLA of Phungyar constituency (ST) of Kamjong district, had resigned from the post of advisor to chief minister N Biren Singh and also the chairman of estimate committee of Manipur Legislative Assembly on September 11.
As per reports, out of the 20 MLAs elected from the hill districts, the HAC chairman post went uncontested since Leishiyo was the lone candidate to have filed the nomination paper.
All 20 MLAs elected from the hill districts of the state are members of the HAC, however, with the recent resignation of four Congress MLAs, only 16 of them remained as the members.
Moreover, despite seven elected MLAs from the hill districts, the Opposition Congress did not field any candidate for the post of HAC chairman, it said.
Article 371(C) of the Constitution of India provides a special provision for the legislation and administration of the hill areas of Manipur in the form of a Hill Area Committee.
The Hill Area Committee is empowered by the Constitution to monitor the law-making and administration of hill areas.
- 89th anniversary of first flight, group says filled with JRD Tata’s spirit of adventure
- ASEAN to exclude Myanmar’s leader from summit in key rebuke
- Gujarat: 8-year-old girl mauled to death by lions in Amreli
- Nagaland former minister Kihoto Hollohon breathes his last, CM condoles demise
- MS Dhoni becomes first in world cricket to captain in 300 T20 games
- India at the 2021 T20 World Cup: Matches, timings and venues