Guwahati: A 15-year-old girl was allegedly gangraped by five men at Sitapur in Uttar Pradesh last week. The incident cam to light only when one of the accused shared a video clip of the crime on social media platforms, said the police.
Superintendent of police Rakesh Prakash Singh, while speaking on the incident, said: “The incident occurred on September 7 in Imalia Sultanpur area. The accused reportedly threatened the girl of consequences if she informed anyone. Apparently, this is why the girl did not inform her family members about it.”
The local police swung into action when the video of the alleged rape went viral and an FIR was filed. One of the accused was detained by the police.
“We have detained one of the accused and our teams are raiding possible hideouts of the remaining accused. All the accused are adults and are of the same area. Efforts are also being made to prevent further circulation of the video online,” the police officer looking into the case said.
According to reports, five men surrounded the minor girl when she was on her way back from the market. They took her to a secluded location near the village and raped her. They also shot a video of the crime and threatened the victim of dire consequences of she opened her mouth.
- Two Rohingyas detained outside Army camp in Jammu
- Mizoram poll watchdog seeks action over model code violation
- Mizoram: Fourth consecutive day with under 1,000 fresh Covid-19 cases
- Arunachal: Bike thief, five others arrested from Seppa
- Aizawl-Shillong among six air routes flagged off in NE
- Tripura TMC members gherao police station over attack on youth leader