Shillong: Shillong: Meghalaya minister of Power, James Sangma tested positive for COVID-19 upon his arrival at Imphal Airport on Saturday.
Sangma left from New Delhi on Saturday morning and arrived at Imphal Airport for some political engagements. Since the Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) requires every entrant to test, it was then that Sangma was declared positive for COVID-19 through a Rapid Antigen Test.
Speaking to EastMojo, OSD to CM, Saidul Khan informed that he and the chief minister Conrad K Sangma tested negative whereas James Sangma was positive.
Khan added, “James is on his way to Shillong by road from Imphal. He has left Imphal around 4:30 pm in an ambulance and is likely to reach Shillong tomorrow early morning.”
According to Khan, the CM and James Sangma, travelled to Imphal to hold talks with party leaders relating to the upcoming elections in the State of Manipur.
When asked if they would have to undergo quarantine since they are high-risk contacts of a positive patient, Khan said that it was not required as they had both tested negative.
“We do not require to go for isolation here in Manipur. However, we are restricting meeting people and meeting only key people and maintaining proper social distancing. On arrival to Shillong, we will undergo a test again and go for quarantine,” said Khan.
The chief minister is expected to return to Shillong on Monday.
- Assam Rifles seize 240 bags of areca nuts worth over 46 lakh
- Sipajhar eviction drive: Police arrest photographer in video
- Assam is on state-sponsored fire: Rahul Gandhi on Sipajhar
- Sikkim reports 62 new COVID-19 cases, one more fatality
- Vaccine at home for differently-abled, people with restricted mobility: Govt
- Manipur: Tribal leader shot dead; Naga rights’ body condemns killing