Imphal: In yet another significant political development in Manipur, a total of 28 Congress party members and office bearers joined the N Biren Singh-led Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) ahead of the by-elections in the state.
The Congress members from the 60 Singhat constituency led by its president Henkhopao alias HP Haokip who have joined the BJP was felicitated by the chief minister N Biren Singh at CM’s secretariat in Imphal.
CM Biren Singh took to social media to announce the development, “Warm welcome to the leaders and office bearers of INC Singhat AC who have joined BJP today, having complete trust and confidence in the leadership of Hon’ble PM Narendra Modi and ex-MLA Ginsuanhau, who have already resigned from the primary membership of INC and joined BJP.”
The Congress members were felicitated by the chief minister N Biren Singh at CM’s secretariat in Imphal.
Earlier, five among the six Congress MLAs who resigned from the party, including Okram Henry Singh who is the nephew of CLP leader Okram Ibobi Singh, joined the BJP. The political step taken by the rebel MLAs was a jolt for the Opposition Congress party in the state.
As per reports, the by-election for the 13 vacant seats of the Manipur Legislative Assembly is likely to be held in November. However, the Election Commission is yet to announce the official date and SoP to be followed during the polling.
Also Read: Manipur: BJP-led govt wins trust vote
- Oppn demands law on MSP, debate on snooping row, price rise in Parliament
- Netherlands, Australia find omicron variant as curbs spread
- Nagaland pushes for off-road tourism; generate Rs 100 Cr revenue
- Bengaluru police deny permission to Munawar Faruqui’s stand-up show
- Tripura sees saffron wave, BJP sweeps civic polls
- Mizoram govt committed to peace along all state borders: Official