New Delhi: Swami Agnivesh breathed his last at the Insititute of Liver and Biliary Sciences (ILBS) hospital in Delhi. He died at the age of 80. According to reports, the former MLA from Haryana was earlier hospitalised due to liver cirrhosis and the he had been in ventilator since Tuesday as his condition deteriorated.
Swami Agnivesh, was a popular face seen in many discussions freely expressing his views on social issues. He formed a political party called Arya Sabha in 1970. In 1977, he was elected as MLA Vidhanasabha constituency in Haryana and also served as Minister of Education in Haryana Government. In 1981, he founded another organisation called Bandhu Mukti Morcha.
Swami Agnivesh was also part of the anti-corruption movement led by Anna Hazare in 2011. However, he later withdrew from the movement due to some differences. Swami Agnivesh also appeared on popular reality show Bigg Boss where he stayed three days.
Mourning his loss, renowned actor Shabana Azmi said in a Tweeted, ” Very saddened by the passing away of #Swami Agnivesh due to multi-organ failure. Influenced by Liberation Theology, he worked to rescue and rehabilitate bonded labourers and was a force to reckon with in the eighties. RIP”
- Islamic State claims mosque bombing in south Afghanistan
- Dravid ‘The Wall’ returns: Team India in best hands say fans
- Khanapara Morning Teer Result today: Winners of Khanapara lottery for October 16
- Shillong Morning Teer Result today: How to check winners of Shillong lottery for October 16
- Manipur woman found dead in Gurgaon under mysterious circumstances
- World Food Day 2021: History, significance & this year’s theme