On Wednesday, nearly 500 people, including former Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) lawmaker MLA Dilip Moran, from various political parties and social groups joined the opposition Congress, while almost an equal number of people joined the party ahead of the assembly polls due next year.
Moran, who was a BJP legislator from Doom Dooma, joined the Congress in presence of its state chief Ripun Bora, in Guwahati.
Another BJP leader Niranjan Nath also switched sides to the opposition party.
The Asom Gana Parishad’s (AGP) Bakkkar Ali Ahmed and Ismail Hussain joined the Congress along with 50-odd party workers. Bodoland People’s Front (BPF) representative Petros Basumatary too joined the same party.
The AGP and the BPF are constituents of the ruling BJP-led coalition.
All India United Democratic Front (AIUDF) leaders Abdul Khandakar and Shahjahan Ali joined the Congress with over 100 supporters. These two leaders unsuccessfully contested the 2016 Assembly polls.
Apart from them, a number of singers, actors, dancers, music composers and others joined the Congress.
However on the other hand, almost 500 Congress workers switched allegiance to the BJP in Nagaon, in presence of party MLA Rupak Sarmah.
- Fabindia’s ‘Jashn-e-Riwaaz’ sparks controversy, Netizens allege ‘Abrahamisation’ of Diwali
- Manipur: Police seize arms, ammunition & drugs worth Rs 40 lakh
- Mary Kom to skip National Women’s Boxing Championships
- NESFB Guwahati has 133 vacancies. Details here
- Dera chief Gurmeet Ram Rahim sentenced to life
- Khanapara Teer Result today: Winners of Khanapara Teer for October 18