Imphal: Tensions erupted on Saturday morning along the Imphal-Dimapur road in Manipur’s Senapati district as the locals blocked the national highway and protested demanding the release of a person who was allegedly arrested by Assam Rifles.
As per reports, troops of 34th Assam Rifles arrested a suspected cadre of NSCN-IM at around 4 am on Saturday from Khrokho village near Mao Gate, following which locals from Mao and Maram gathered in front of the gate of Assam Rifles and staged the protest at Maram bazaar. However, sources have confirmed that the arrested individual is a civilian, and not an NSCN-IM cadre.
The arrested individual has been identified as Salew Hepuni, 40, of Songsong village, Mao Gate.
The protestors blocked the National Highway 2, which is the lifeline of Manipur. At least 50 trucks loaded with goods, headed to Imphal, are reportedly stranded before Mao Gate.
As per sources, the arrested person has been handed over to Lamphel
Police Station in Imphal. The protest was finally called off, and National Highway 2 reopened after police assured that the individual would be released on bail.
- Arunachal: CBI files charge sheet in APPSC question paper leak case
- For Zo refugees fleeing Bangladesh, BSF beating, ‘Mizoram is only hope’
- Indian High Commissioner presents credentials to King Charles
- Meghalaya: MLA Mohendro Rapsang to quit Cong, to join NPP
- India logs 249 fresh COVID-19 cases
- G20 presidency coming to India is no small thing: RSS chief