Imphal: In a daring broad daylight robbery, a group of unidentified miscreants looted the State Bank of India (SBI) branch in Manipur’s Churachandpur and disappeared with Rs 1.15 crore after allegedly shooting and injuring a guard Friday morning.
The victim, identified as Arambam Ranjan (35) who is a security-cum-staff of Writer Safeguard Company, was rushed to the District Hospital Churachandpur and later referred to another hospital in Imphal. However, the victim succumbed to injury at around 1:10 pm at Shija Hospital, said the sources.
As per sources, the incident happened at around 10:30 am. Armed men shot at the security guard of an ATM right in front of the SBI branch office at Tiddim road and sped off along with the cash on a bike.
The looted amount was supposed to be dispensed for ATMs in and around Churachandpur town. There are around 16 ATM booths in the town that were taken care by the Writer Safeguard Company, it said.
Meanwhile, police have arrested two outsourced staffs who were present during the time of an incident for questioning and further investigation; however, no concrete information about the two involved in the crime is yet to be ascertained, said the sources.
Earlier, some miscreants had also ransacked the Central Bank of India (CBI), Singat branch in Churachandpur district by breaking the roof of the building. However, no robbery was reported from the incident, as per reports.
Also Read: Gangrape in Manipur: Minor girl dies at RIMS
- Amarinder Singh resigns as Punjab CM; says ‘feel humiliated’
- Book explores historical and spiritual landscape of communities in Northeast
- Watch: Can Bar Tshangay Falls become Sikkim’s next tourism destination?
- Naga peace talks set to resume as interlocutor, Assam CM step in
- Mizoram: Chakma villages threaten strike over disbursal of grant money
- Arunachal Pradesh gets four more oxygen plants