Sporting action cross the globe has resumed over the past couple of months, after being suspended for almost four months due to COVID-19, with most games being played behind closed doors, no matter whether it’s football, cricket or any other sport.
However, the much awaited Indian Premier League (IPL), which is scheduled to start from September 19, 2020, is reportedly planning to become the first high-profile league/event with 30% occupancy in stadiums. The idea is likely to be implemented towards the later stages of the tournament.
The Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) president Sourav Ganguly confirmed that the stadiums can have around 30% crowd attendance in the 13th season of the Indian Premier League, but he mentioned that it will only be possible towards the later part of the tournament.
Speaking to a leading media house, Ganguly said, “Because of COVID and the infection, you don’t want people to be too close to each other, but very soon you will see there will be 30% people in the ground with social distancing.”. The BCCI president also said that this will not happen immediately after the tournament starts, but eventually over a period of time, people will be properly tested and allowed to enter the ground.
The final call, however, will be made only after the organisers are sure of the safety of players, staff and other officials.
The BCCI is still trying to get things in place for the cash rich league, before announcing the final schedule. The schedule, which was supposed to be released last week, was put on hold after as many as 13 members of the Chennai Super Kings camp tested positive for the highly contagious virus.