Imphal: A 16-year-old girl from Imphal West, who was sexually assaulted by her boyfriend and four other perpetrators, had died at Regional Institute of Medical Sciences (RIMS) Hospital on Thursday morning.
As per sources, the victim was passed away at around 2 am due to acute respiratory distress syndrome after near-drowning. The mortal remains have been taken back to her native place for final rites, it said.
The chief minister of Manipur N Biren Singh has assured to trace down all the perpetrators and punish them as per the law. The chief minister has also promised to give compensation to the victim’s family, said Muslim Council Manipur (MCM) president Haji Arafat Ali.
According to the report, the incident happened on Tuesday night when her boyfriend believed to have lured her out at night on the pretext of elopement after which the heinous act was carried out by the culprit along with the accomplices. Later, the victim might have abandoned by the perpetrators assuming her to be dead, it said.
She was rushed to the hospital by the locals after her motionless body was discovered along the Salam Lambi (road) under the Mayang Imphal Police Station in Kakching district.
Soon after the incident, there was a huge outcry from the public and irate mob rushed at the residence of the victim’s boyfriend, identified as Md Maza Khan, at Heibong Makhong Mathak Leikai and set ablaze the house.
The main culprit involved in the alleged gang-raped has voluntarily surrendered before the police; however, four other accomplices involved in the crime are still absconding, as per the sources.
- ‘Tar’ review: Cate Blanchett’s stellar performance marks the highlight
- Rupee may remain under depreciation pressure: Economic Survey
- Two from Manipur, one from Assam win Sunsilk Mega Miss North East 2022
- Notification issued for Nagaland elections, no nomination on Day 1
- From bad omen to treasured friends: how Hargila found home in Assam
- Eyeing KIYG gold, Arunachal lifter Markio Tario sets priorities right