Sumit Nagal created history on Tuesday, as he became the first Indian since 2013 to reach the second round of a Grand Slam men’s singles event. He achieved the feat as he recorded his first-ever win in a Grand Slam event when he beat Bradley Klahn of the United States 6-1, 6-3, 3-6, 6-1 in the opening round of the US Open.
Nagal got off to a great start, winning the first two sets without much fuss. However, his American opponent, Bradley Klahn, came roaring back to take the third set 6-3. The Indian tennis star regained his focus in the fourth set, winning it 6-1, and registering his maiden victory at a Grand Slam event.
After his win, Sumit Nagal took to the Social Media platform Twitter and expressed his gratitude towards his well-wishers.
“My first slam win. It was definitely a special moment and a match I will not forget. Thank you everyone for the wishes. Next match on Thursday, gonna be fun one. Special thanks to my team,” Nagal tweeted.
Earlier, in 2013, Somdev Devvarman had reached round 2 of the Australian Open, French Open, and US Open playing for India.
Nagal’s claim to fame came when he took a set off Roger Federer in the opening round of the US Open in 2019. He however, lost the match 6-4, 1-6, 2-6, 4-6.to the Swiss great.
He will now take on Austria’s Dominic Thiem in the second round of the US Open on Thursday.
- Arunachal: BJP women celebrate passing of reservation Bill
- Manipur: Temporary prison set up in Churachandpur
- Manipur to continue biometric collection of illegal immigrants
- Betting on The NFL In India – A Guide
- Shoppers Stop ropes in Ushasi Ray for their Durga Pujo campaign
- New school initiative for displaced children launched in Churachandpur